Re: Minutes

What if an operating system that you are developing a user agent for does
not support device independence?

Does that mean the user agent must create new APIs to handle device
independence?

How does this impact touch screen Kiosks?

How would this guidelines help them understand Kiosk developers what they
need to provide for accessibility?

Please provide revised working for review.

Jon

At 12:08 PM 12/16/98 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I was basing my statements on the revsed wording which I proposed - device
>independent control mechanism, rather than redundant means, since I don't
>see that there is a need for much redundancy, which simply adds bloat to
>the progams.
>
>This would mean that you don't need any of the things Jon listed, you
>simply need some kind of API (or to take advantage of one that the OS can
>be relied on to have provided already) which allows access to the
>controls.
>
>A simple solution would be a menu somewhere which gave access to each
>command/function which could be carried out by the UA, and to which there
>was some reconfigurable access mechanism. Such a menu used to be part of
>MS Word - I think it was a precursor to the process of customising
>toolbars. But most functions (mouse-based ones may be more difficult) can
>be readily provided in this way, and the problem is solved. The makers of
>a single switch interface can then provide, using whatever User Interface
>they see fit, access to the functions of this browser by means of that
>interface.
>
>Charles
>
>--Charles McCathieNevile -  mailto:charles@w3.org
>phone:(temporary) +1 (617) 258 8143  http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles
>
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative -  http://www.w3.org/WAI
>545 Technology sq., Cambridge MA, USA
>
>On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>
>  There was discusion that it may be to vague during the meeting.  Ian said
>  that this item was being referenced to much by other techniques and
>  therefore may need to be refined.  When I read it now I think that it is
>  difficult to interpret.  The way it is written now I don't know when I
>  satisfy it.
>
>  Do I need to provide Braille input and a Braille keyboard device?
>  Do I need speech recognition and speech output?
>  Do I need a single switch scanning system?
>
>  How much redundency satisfies this requirement?
>
>  Please submit your view and your interpretation to the list for
discussion.

>  In my view this technique does not fly with the current wording.
>
>  Jon

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870