Re: Guidelines - events

(Note for UA people - the discussion comes from page authoring and which
events should and should not be used - the initial premise was that all
device-dependent events should not, although hopefully some could be
replaced by 'logical events - ones which can be activated by keyboard,
voice input, etc)

If onKeyPress passes no information about which key was pressed, then it
could be mapped, along with onClick, to a new onActivate by UAs,
providing a pathway for transition to the 'logical event' which we could ask
for in future HTML.

There may be equivalents to onMouseDown, onMouseUp which should be
considered at first in the context of making selections - I don't know
how to do this using the keyboard in any browsers although I understand
that mapping a mouse to the keyboard is offered by Windows systems. How
this would translate to voice systems (or mobile phone systems, with
voice and a limited number of keys) I am not sure.

But I do think that until we have some ide of how to proceed with this
the page-authoring guidelines should recommend against it. I know that
people will ignore that where they feel they need a rollover highlight
for their client, but they can decide that this will not compromise
accessibility without throwing out the whole guidelines. (Have some faith
in the audience)

Charles McCathieNevile