From: Ginger Claassen <ginger.claassen@gmx.de>
Sent: 09 June 2021 10:21
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Span and accessibility

good Morning folks,

I have a question regarding the accessibility of the HTML Span element:

How can one make it accessible for screen readers?

We tried a whole bunch of things and the problem is that we managed to get it somehow accessible but the role=image and label are displayed beneath the element itself.

The application has a whole bunch of spans telling the time and an icon with an arrow and the status working or on break.

NVDA can nicely read the whole thing e.g. 8:39 working but JAWS and Narrator have no chance to get it. Therefore we played with a lot of information and managed to get it working but for JAWS and Narraotr each entry is comprised of two lines and one has to go through the list with the cursor instead of jumping from one to the next list element by pressing "i".

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Solong and thx

     Ginger