Re: Video transcripts/audio descriptions and video players

On 10/05/2021 10:52, Louise Lister wrote:
[...]
> Finally, has anyone also included links to an audio description on their
> webpage? I am thinking that unless non-speech sounds (such as mood
> music) convey most of the meaning to suggest we include as much as
> possible in the speaker’s script.

Just picking up this last point, you basically want/need AD if there's
anything that happens visually in the video that is not already conveyed
in the audio/narration (or where it's not sufficiently clear from that
what is visually happening). If your video player solution allows it,
and if it's simple audio description that doesn't require a whole
different video (with extra pauses, i.e. with different lengths etc),
you may be able to offer a dropdown/option to switch to different audio
tracks, one of which would be the AD version. FWIW YouTube recently
allowed this option on their videos - as a creator, you can now upload a
video, and separate audio tracks, and it's then possible for users to
switch between them on the fly - see for instance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaOKSUlf4TM

Otherwise (if your player doesn't support it, or if the AD video is of
different length because it needed to have additional pauses included),
a simple link to the AD version will work. There are fancier
alternatives, like dynamically switching out the embedded video for the
AD one...but a humble link (close to the non-AD video player itself)
should do the job.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux