User Stylesheets are Assistive Technology

From: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 16:50:08 -0700
To: W3C WAI ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
There are lots of people who claim to be accessibility experts who
disregard the value of user stylesheets as a significant technology to
mitigate problems of visual interface. Actually they work quite well.

This technology is used primarily be people who are left out of the
mainstream ATs. They are a way to change colors, ensure a personalized
contrast ration, control column width and many other things.

I use Safari because the browser will host user stylesheets. It is too bad
that other browsers decided to stop supporting this important assistive
technology.

I think the AG should at least recognize that this is a form of assistive
technology that is available in a technology landscape that offers almost
nothing useful for most people with low vision and cognitive disabilities.

For those who want to tell me how wonderful screen magnifiers are if I just
used them correctly, don't bother. I probably know how to use them better
than you. For my needs, screen magnification scores zero.

Wayne Dick