Re: Mechanism Disclaimer

Gregg wrote:

> the AUTHOR knows that all users already have it (it is in all browsers)

All browsers? That's a mighty high bar to meet Gregg - I wonder aloud how
many readers of this thread regularly test in Opera? How about the Yandex
browser? Vivaldi? (and those are all based on the Blink web engine[1]) What
about Avant[2]? SeaMonkey[3]? qutebrowser[4]? Others?

I'm worried that this is making assumptions not based on evidence, and is
hardly a repeatable, testable state. And as sad as it is to say aloud, we
cannot be expecting web authors to be anticipating every individual
user-configuration and setting, and I additionally think we should not be
asking authors to create widgets and other user-agent tools to address
browser short-comings. I mean, it's great that those needs are being met in
the marketplace by extensions and plugins (this thread mentions Stylish
frequently), but writing a SC dependent on the quirks of a browser plugin
feels very wrong to me (in very much the same way as suggesting writing
WCAG 2.0 to reflect JAWs of 2006 was not a good idea then either).

"A mechanism exists" is indeed a very powerful blanket statement, but it is
also a double-edged sword, and I would suggest we need to tread very
carefully here.

Alastair wrote:

> However, for these adaptation SCs the onus is on the user to provide the
mechanism, and for the author not to disrupt their use of it.

+1, but that contradicts what Gregg is suggesting (not that I am in
agreement with Gregg's assertion here). I agree Alastair, I suspect that
part of the problem is that we are also moving towards a series of SC that
say what the author must NOT do (e.g. do NOT mess with the end-user's
ability to enlarge text), as opposed to what they must do (provide a widget
that allows for magnification of text up-to 400%). I think we need to be
crystal clear on that.

JF

[1 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(web_engine)]
[2 - http://www.avantbrowser.com/]