Re: Mechanism Disclaimer

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 1:41 PM, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com> wrote:
>   Gregg wrote:
>   > the AUTHOR knows that all users already have it (it is in all browsers)
> All browsers? That's a mighty high bar to meet

Agree.  I was going to go back and qualify that and I forgot.

what we worked with in WCAG was

Available in most of the major free (FF, IE, Saf, Chrome, etc)  and esp the default  (IE Saf) browsers

the default were particularly important since there are many places where people are only allowed to use the default browsers

> I'm worried that this is making assumptions not based on evidence,

we based our analysis on real data on what the browsers supported

> "A mechanism exists" is indeed a very powerful blanket statement, but it is also a double-edged sword, and I would suggest we need to tread very carefully here.

Agree

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu