Re: Are All Capital Letters accessible?

Then, there is this spanner in the works
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042698907002830
Letter case and text legibility in normal and low vision
Volume 47, Issue 19
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00426989/47/19>, September
2007, Pages 2499–2505

It is thought by cognitive scientists and typographers alike, that
lower-case text is more legible than upper-case. Yet lower-case letters
are, on average, smaller in height and width than upper-case characters,
which suggests an upper-case advantage. Using a single unaltered font and
all upper-, all lower-, and mixed-case text, we assessed size thresholds
for words and random strings, and reading speeds for text with normal and
visually impaired participants. Lower-case thresholds were roughly 0.1 log
unit higher than upper. Reading speeds were higher for upper- than for
mixed-case text at sizes twice acuity size; at larger sizes, the upper-case
advantage disappeared. Results suggest that upper-case is more legible than
the other case styles, especially for visually-impaired readers, because
smaller letter sizes can be used than with the other case styles, with no
diminution of legibility.

--
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756