RE: Are All Capital Letters accessible?

Ø  Results suggest that upper-case is more legible than the other case styles, especially for visually-impaired readers, because smaller letter sizes can be used than with the other case styles, with no diminution of legibility.

This could be an artifact of how we were taught to read.   For whole word recognition many of us expect the casing to be a certain way to efficiently recognize the word.  When upper case is used we may need to decode the word – slowing down reading.  People who were taught a different reading method may have different results.

Jonathan

From: Jim Allan [mailto:jimallan@tsbvi.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 3:38 PM
To: Andrew Arch
Cc: WAI Interest Group List list
Subject: Re: Are All Capital Letters accessible?

Then, there is this spanner in the works
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042698907002830

Letter case and text legibility in normal and low vision
Volume 47, Issue 19<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00426989/47/19>, September 2007, Pages 2499–2505

It is thought by cognitive scientists and typographers alike, that lower-case text is more legible than upper-case. Yet lower-case letters are, on average, smaller in height and width than upper-case characters, which suggests an upper-case advantage. Using a single unaltered font and all upper-, all lower-, and mixed-case text, we assessed size thresholds for words and random strings, and reading speeds for text with normal and visually impaired participants. Lower-case thresholds were roughly 0.1 log unit higher than upper. Reading speeds were higher for upper- than for mixed-case text at sizes twice acuity size; at larger sizes, the upper-case advantage disappeared. Results suggest that upper-case is more legible than the other case styles, especially for visually-impaired readers, because smaller letter sizes can be used than with the other case styles, with no diminution of legibility.