Screen Readers | Rate = Words Per Minute

From: Wright, Isaiah <Isaiah.Wright@ally.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 14:51:36 +0000
To: WAI Interest Group List list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I’m looking for examples of screen readers being used at different rates.

I’ve read that experienced users often like to speed up the reading rate to 300 words per minute or more and that when many people hear a screen reader for the first time, at the normal rate of about 180 words per minute, they complain that it reads too quickly.

I have access to NVDA but the rate is by percentage instead of words per minute. Is there a chart out there that translates rate percentage into words per minute?

Cheers,
Isaiah M. Wright
Usability Research  | Integrated Channels & Experience
440 S. Church St., Charlotte NC 28202
T + 704 444 4694  |  isaiah.wright@ally.com
[image001.gif]

image001.gif