Re: In WCAG NEXT let's put a date field on failures

Hi Alestair

I did not fail sites on 1.3.1 for not making Headers, footers, navigation,
and main content programatically determinable before the advent of Landmark
​ s and HTML and I still don't although I point out that they should do
this. and give that an issue number as an important practice, with minimal
investment and high returns. Some clients do it, some clients say, "just
give me the failures"

WCAG is supposed to be ever green and technologically independent to give
it a longer life. That's why we decided to make the very difficult decision
to remove any mention of technology in the SCs. If we can't keep up with
the most basic important accessibility feature such are regions, then we've
failed at that goal... There are very few sites existing today on the web
that we'd be asked to evaluate that were made before Landmarks were in
mainstream use around 2010. (6 years ago).

Anyway, my proposal was kind of a test. The "ever green" strategy of WCAG 2
failed for failures (and worked for techniques). So we need to address this
in 2.1, and I'm glad that the feedback about provide a date field in
techniques has been positive. It's a small thing, but might help solve the
problem moving forward.

I'm really hoping we don't adopt the squishy policy of not providing
failures in WCAG Next.  I think WCAG would have been a failure without the
common failures.... they are used by tools, by authors, by banks some of
which told me that's all they look at :(   ... They are critical to the
clarity required about common ways authors mess up. Failures are a bright
line in the sand. They are not squishy like the success criteria can be,
full of exceptions that require expert interpretation, where one can argue
about whether 1.3.1 Info and Relations really means blind people should not
have information about the relationship between a footer, nav, and the main
body.

I'm willing to table the failure to WCAG NEXT, with the confidence that we
won't drop the ball on failures.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*