Re: Error Handling Best Practice?

From: Alistair Garrison <alistair.j.garrison@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:39:49 +0000
Cc: Michiel Bijl <michiel@agosto.nl>, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>, Shirisha Balusani <sirib@uillinois.edu>, ajaysharma89003@gmail.com, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org List list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
A proposal - for error notifications on small screens.

1) Form data validation occurs on form submission.
2) Post submission, the <label> associated with each form field found to contain an error is altered to include the text "Error:" (as per W3C Tutorial).
3) A sentence is placed at the beginning of the form summarising "the following <named> form contains <x> number of errors".
4) The user's focus is set to this sentence.

This allows screen-reader users navigating in and out of focus to find the form fields with errors.

All the best

Alistair