Re: PDF accessibility guidelines

On 23 Jan 2015, at 21:48, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

> No matter how much PDF/UA or ISO 32000-1 are prettified with access
> capability,

[...]

>  they are a web accessibility plague

[...]

> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

Why do I like this triad? ;-)

OK, folks, keep it coming, all your frustration! And once we are through with it, let's revisit the options we have in front of us.

For me the question boils down to the following:
Can we make all the PDFs, all the printed stuff, all the page centric content, all the standalone documents and publications go away? Or at least deflect into HTML/web-based representations?  Maybe. Maybe in the long run. Until then, for possibly a very long time, we will have to accept the fact that a lot of content lives in PDFs, and quite a substantial portion of it only in PDF. Interesting content. Useful content. Exciting content. Precious content.

Now, as I see it, the options in this context are:
- wait until all this stuff re-emerges as HTML / on the web
- embrace PDF and make it (more) accessible (than it is today)

Everybody is free to wait it out. I am not patient enough for this game. I have been in the PDF industry for well over 15 years, and I still see it growing substantially rather than going away any time soon. It's just too practical for too many users and use cases.

Olaf