Re: For you: A webpage that is 100% accessible to all people around the world, regardless of nationality or disability or Assistive Technology

Ba dump bump.

From: Bryan Garaventa [mailto:bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 03:58 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: For you: A webpage that is 100% accessible to all people around the world, regardless of nationality or disability or Assistive Technology

Recently, somebody asked me to show them a website that was 100% accessible, so I figured it would make a good experiment. Sort of a thought experiment I guess...

So I built a webpage that is 100% accessible to all people in the world equally, regardless of nationality, disability type, or Assistive Technology used.

Enjoy! It's available at
http://whatsock.com/test/100_percent_accessible.htm

Happy testing.

With this 100% accessible baseline to start from, the accessibility percentage for all web technologies everywhere, scales downward to account for requisite variables, so that no web technology anywhere can be 100% accessible as a result.

To demonstrate this, I also wrote the following algorithm, that calculates the general percentage of accessibility for any given web technology.

X = (1 * Disability-Type * Browser-AT * Site-Interactivity * Site-Complexity * User-Experience)
P = (Hardware * ((((1 * OS-AT) - X) * Accessibility-Level) + X)) * 100

P is the general Percentage of accessibility calculated for a particular website or web technology feature, which is based on the following estimated values for each variable in the formula.

Disability-Type
0.01: Deaf-Blind + Motor-Impaired
0.1: Deaf-Blind
0.2: Deaf + Motor-Impaired
0.3: Blind + Motor-Impaired
0.4: Partially Sighted + Motor-Impaired
0.5: Motor-Impaired
0.6: Blind
0.7: Deaf + Partially Sighted
0.8: Partially Sighted
0.9: Deaf

Browser-AT
1: No AT
0.98: Internet Explorer + JAWS
0.93: Internet Explorer + NVDA
0.95: Firefox + JAWS
0.98: Firefox + NVDA
0.95: Safari + VoiceOver
0.6: Chrome + JAWS
0.7: Chrome + NVDA
0.95: Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome + Dragon
0.98: Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome + ZoomText
0.9: Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome or Safari + Braille Display

Site-Interactivity
1: Contains All Static Elements
0.9: Contains Interactive Features

Site-Complexity
1: Simple
0.95: Medium
0.9: Complex

User-Experience
0.95: Intermediate
0.9: Beginner

Hardware
0: None
1: Computer

OS-AT
0.001: No AT
0.99: Windows + JAWS
0.99: Windows + NVDA
0.99: Windows + Dragon
0.99: Windows + ZoomText
0.99: iOS + VoiceOver
0.99: OS X + VoiceOver
0.9: Windows or iOS or OS X + Braille Display

Accessibility-Level
0.98: Fully Keyboard Accessible + ARIA Standards Compliant (when applicable) + WCAG Compliant
0.3: Fully Keyboard Accessible + ARIA Standards Compliant (when applicable) but not WCAG Compliant
0.3: Fully Keyboard Accessible but not ARIA Standards Compliant (when applicable) + WCAG Compliant
0.2: Fully Keyboard Accessible but not ARIA Standards Compliant (when applicable) nor WCAG Compliant
0.1: ARIA Standards Compliant (when applicable) but not Fully Keyboard Accessible nor WCAG Compliant
0.01: Neither Fully Keyboard Accessible nor ARIA Standards Compliant (when applicable) nor WCAG Compliant

(More constants can always be added or adjusted)

For example:

(1 * .6 * .95 * .9 * .9 * .9) = 0.41553
(1 * ((((1 * 0.99) - 0.41553) * .98) + 0.41553)) * 100 = 97.85106

So roughly calculated, a Blind person(.6) using Safari+VoiceOver(.95) accessing a website that Contains Interactive Features(.9) that is Complex(.9) when the user is a Beginner(.9),
in combination with Hardware(1) that includes iOS+VoiceOver(.99), upon a website that is
Fully Keyboard Accessible + ARIA Standards Compliant (when applicable) + WCAG Compliant(.98), will have a general accessibility Percentage of 97.8.

Like I said, these are just estimates, but I thought it would make an interesting experiment.

Best wishes,
Bryan