*From:* Homme, James [mailto:james.homme@highmark.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:00 AM
*To:* w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
*Subject:* Advice About JQuery Accessibility

Hi,

I'm running into instances where I'm seeing legitimate JQuery things like
hyperlinks, and other items that you'd normally be able to activate and
hear what's going on, but JAWS isn't saying the word link or communicating
the word clickable, and for good reason: The code behind these items is
calling JQuery functions, rather than doing the usual HTML thing. In this
particular instance, I can't do anything about it, but if I get the chance
to, what's the correct accessibility advice to give about this. Here's the
information JAWS gives about one of the hyperlinks.

Element Information:

Tag SPAN has 1 parameters:

class=sitemapPageName

Tag A has 4 parameters:

class=sitemapPageLink

jquery1332334255145=40

nodeurl=Pega_Color_Scheme.html

shape=

Jim Homme,

Usability Services,

Phone: 412-544-1810.

solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you
must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the
author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do
not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or
affiliates.