RE: Advice About JQuery Accessibility

Maybe not the same function but I've had our developers avoid using the jquery hide function as it uses display:none which hides content to screenreaders.

From: Homme, James [mailto:james.homme@highmark.com]
Sent: 21 March 2012 13:00
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Advice About JQuery Accessibility

Hi,
I'm running into instances where I'm seeing legitimate JQuery things like hyperlinks, and other items that you'd normally be able to activate and hear what's going on, but JAWS isn't saying the word link or communicating the word clickable, and for good reason: The code behind these items is calling JQuery functions, rather than doing the usual HTML thing. In this particular instance, I can't do anything about it, but if I get the chance to, what's the correct accessibility advice to give about this. Here's the information JAWS gives about one of the hyperlinks.

Element Information:

Tag SPAN has 1 parameters:
class=sitemapPageName

Tag A has 4 parameters:
class=sitemapPageLink
jquery1332334255145=40
nodeurl=Pega_Color_Scheme.html
shape=

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810.

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.