Re: correct use of tfoot

On 12/1/06, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >   <tfoot>
> >       <th></th>
> >       <th>{total Sales figure}</th>
>
> I think that would be a misuse of tfoot, because tfoot is a running
> footer which can appear on multiple pages.

In that case it would actually be a suitable place for a footnote relating
to a column heading, as Antony suggested in Question #2. For example:

<thead>
</thead>
[tbody goes here]
<tfoot>
</tfoot>

I suppose the same information could be put in a @title for the th, but
putting it in the tfoot would be better for those with user agents that
don't automatically render @titles: for example if I've printed the table
and am flipping through the pages on the bus.

There also doesn't seem to be any reason that thead can't have multiple
rows, the first repeating the headings in the thead, and the subsequent ones
containing annotations.

Chris