RE: More data on accesskeys (New article written Nov. 1)

"Alastair Campbell" <ac@nomensa.com> wrote on 03/11/2006 12:53:02:

> > A simple fix for the problem of access keys would be to allow
> > the user to define their own access keys...

> True, and several links were provided earlier in the thread to
> implementations,

Sorry; I seem to have missed those.

> but it is worth considering whether the target audience
> would actually use them even when perfectly implemented (from the site's
> point of view).

> These two main factors come to mind:
> 1. The user has to know what accesskeys are, or the site has to give a
> sufficiently obvious description of what they are.

No; my proposal is precisely the opposite. The site would have to give no
such description.

> - The user probably has to use the site regularly in order for it to be
> worth investing the time to customise it.

Again,  my proposal is precisely the opposite. The user would configure
their UA, once, regardless of which sites they subsequently visit.

Consider a set-up wizard:

        Which key combination do you wish to use, to visit
        the home pages of the sites you visit?

        Which key combination do you wish to use, to visit
        the search pages of the sites you visit?

etc.

> Compare that to a mechanism in the user-agent that automatically works
> across different sites and uses keys the user has defined once, rather
> than for each site.

That is what I'm proposing!

> (I'm also only replying to the lists I'm a member of, but feel free to
> pass on.)

and again.

--
Andy Mabbett

The information contained within this e-mail (and any attachment) sent by Birmingham City Council is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies and notify the sender immediately, or telephone +(44)(0)121 464 4444. Unauthorised access, use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted and may be unlawful. Any e-mail including its content may be monitored and used by Birmingham City Council for reasons of security and for monitoring internal compliance with the office policy on staff use. E-mail blocking software may also be used. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the originator and do not necessarily represent those of Birmingham City Council. We cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended.