RE: GW Micro Helps Make Macromedia Flash Content Accessible to People Who Are Blind

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, RUST Randal wrote:

> >I use a Macintosh
> >and it is bad enough not being able to see many websites because they
> >are coded for the Microsoft users of this world.
>
> You can't fault web designers for building sites that work in the browser
> that is used by about 91% of internet users

Then WAI has no purpose, and should disband.  The number of users who
have accessibility problems by virtue of disability is always going
to be a small minority.

> (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp).

I wouldn't give any more credence to that than .. the paper it's not
written on.

>	  Now I know those
> stats are probably a little skewed, but it can't be by that much.

Have you ever worked in, or studied, statistics?

>	  And
> please don't get started on the whole "Microsoft is a monopoly thing."

Agreed (this is a microsoft-free zone).

> If you want to be able to view all of these supposed web sites that don't
> work, then you should be helping to promote web standards.

I am trying very hard to do that!

> >The Window-Eyes Professional software for Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP
> >Home Edition, and XP Professional retails for $795.00,
>
> I suppose you expect they'd give it away for free, or sell it for $30?
> Sometimes the expectations that people have are just silly.

Perhaps you should re-read my last comment:

> >It's good that you're providing such products, but only so long as
> >noone starts using it as an excuse for neglecting users of lower-
> >cost systems!

(I'm not disabled, but I am a user of lower-cost systems than Windows).

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>