Re: This is obvious to me. Is anybody doing work on it?

At 4:21 PM +0000 1/28/02, Steve Carter wrote:
>When I started getting into web accessibility it immediately
>occurred to me how useful it would be for there to be some standard
>strings that could be inserted in the user-agent-string so for
>example instead of
>Mozilla/4.04 (Win95; I)
>you would have
>Mozilla/4.04 (Win95; I; ; IMP-CONT IMP-AUD)
>and the person building the web application could easily code in
>quick work arounds for any tricky accessibilty cases.  A quick
>brainstorm suggests
>IMP-CONT - the user requests high contrast output
>IMP-COLx - the user is colourblind (x denotes the type of impairment)
>IMP-AUD - the user cannot reliably use auditory senses so please use visual
>IMP-VIS - the user is not able to perceive visual output
>Is anybody doing work in this direction?

This is the kind of thing which you could use the CC/PP framework
to build.  See the W3C homepage for a link to CC/PP, or look at my
old, out-of-date essay at http://www.ccpp.org/.

This is also a topic of discussion among the Device Independent
Working Group at W3C.

--Kynn

PS:  Yes, I know that -current- CC/PP vocabularies don't contain
      these, but I believe the framework established by CC/PP for
      creating such vocabularies is quite useful for accessibility.

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours