Re: This is obvious to me. Is anybody doing work on it?

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Steve Carter wrote:

> When I started getting into web accessibility it immediately occurred to me how useful it would be for there to be some standard strings that could be inserted in the user-agent-string so for example instead of
>
> Mozilla/4.04 (Win95; I)
>
> you would have
>
> Mozilla/4.04 (Win95; I; ; IMP-CONT IMP-AUD)

That would be completely counterproductive.  User-Agent strings have been
widely abused since at least Netscape 0.9, and commonly faked even before
Microsoft arrived on the scene masquerading as Netscape.

> and the person building the web application could easily code in quick work arounds for any tricky accessibilty cases.  A quick brainstorm suggests
>
> IMP-CONT - the user requests high contrast output
> IMP-COLx - the user is colourblind (x denotes the type of impairment)
> IMP-AUD - the user cannot reliably use auditory senses so please use visual
> IMP-VIS - the user is not able to perceive visual output

What you are describing is an application of HTTP Content Negotiation to
address accessibility.  This would be an appropriatesubject for an Accept:
header.  The HTTP working group would presumably be the forum to discuss it.

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>