Re: Legal requirements RE: statistics

Bob wrote:
> no old equipment will always be a problem, it is a rolling problem.  what
> is new today will be obsolete in 3-5 years and new coding etc will be
> happining and folks then will be complaining about the obsolete equipment
> then that is new today.

The problem is not old equipment, the problem is browsers which are not
standards compliant.  A browser which is old but compliant with HTML
3.2 rarely has serious problems with HTML 4.01+CSS 2 pages (although it
may lose accessibility information), because HTML 4.01 and CSS 2 are
generally designed to be backwards compatible.

When we are talking about Netscape 4, we are not talking about old
software, we are talking about 4.79, the most recent release, and a
number of recent releases going back quite a while.  Netscape 3 is
actually less problematic because it does not have broken support for
CSS -- it has none, which is _acceptable_ under the CSS 2 backwards-
compatible specification.

--Kynn