FW: Blind Users and Web Comics

Delurking to comment: I think a good way to go, if this idea were to catch on for comics, or other illustrations, would be for the cartoonist (or artist or photographer) to be the one to provide the descriptive text. That way, more of the original artists' styles and tone could be maintained in the descriptions.

Just a media musing, here. My hearing's gone middle-aged-strange these past few years, and I'm usually running the tube with captioning on. I think there are artistic opportunities in both closed-captioning and DVS that are not being exploited. I'm sure some folks will always prefer the literal, unintrusive version that we have now, especially for drama, documentary or educational content, but wouldn't it be a blast if captioning or DVS were to become part of the show for some comedies or experimental works? As far as the web goes, I can also see a potential for occasional use of smart-aleck or "Greek chorus" commentary alt content (so long as it also served its primary, descriptive function.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelly Ford [mailto:kelly@kellford.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 8:04 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org; Kynn Bartlett
Subject: Re: Blind Users and Web Comics

I think it would be a grand idea.  The comics and political cartoons have
always been somethinfg I'd like to read independently.  Some might be
inherently graphical but just as audio description is starting to enhance
the movie going experience, I think making more of this sort of material
accessible would be worth doing.

Kelly