RE: FWD: CHI-WEB: Amazon's version for the Visually Impaired

Well, to avoid all criticism, anyone (commmercial or otherwise - WAI gets a
lot of criticism too) only has to be perfect.

However I think there are positive and negative points being made, and I
don't think there is a problem with discussion. I agree with you that the
site was probably not designed for accessibility as the word is usually used
in WAI - the first of the 5 questions in their help page is "how do I ensure
that my wireless transaction is secure?". And I agree that this might be a
lot more accessible than other sites.

I have used amazon in a text-only mode (more than any other way) and found
that it works better than other e-commerce sites I have used
(http://www.easyjet.com and http://www.ansett.com.au are airline sites I have
used a lot, http://www.sncf.fr http://www.amtrak.com and
http://www.ferrovie.it are train sites I have used a lot, and there are other
sites where I have made one or two purchases). My personal preference would
be for a site that is annoying (like the "common" amazon site in text-only
mode) but gives me full access over a site that is well-designed but gives me
limited access. However, that varies  depending on whether what I want is
very common or not - I prefer to have the best of both worlds. It does
however seem strange to me that the full database of titles would not be the
same one for both systems. Of course, that's ultimately up to Amazon as a
decision about the way they provide their service (subject to legal
requirements and similar things which I think are beyond the scope of this
discussion).

cheers

Charles McCN