RE: Conformance confusion

I agree David.

I tested the SLC site with Bobby and also A-Prompt. What I found curious was
the fact that both reported problems with colour contrast (and any of us who
were able to view the site could have suggested that without an automated
test.) However Bobby reported that the colour contrast issue was a Priority 2
level problem whereas A-Prompt reported it to be a Priority 1 level problem.
Perhaps A-Prompt could not differentiate between issues relating to W3C's
Guideline 2.1 about ensuring that all information conveyed with colour is also
available without colour (priority 1) and guideline 2.2 which is concerned
about ensuring that foreground and background colour combinations provide
sufficient contrast when viewed by someone having colour deficits ... [Priority
2 for images, Priority 3 for text]. Neither of these applied to the SLC site
though - sure the contrast between text and b/g is poor but colour is not used
in this context to convey any particular meaning and when I checked with
VisCheck the colours were not reported as problematic for the 3 main types of
colour deficit. So I guess this means that automated tools cannot make such
fine differentiations and it really does demonstrate the risk in relying on
automated checks alone. On that basis Bobby reports the site to conform at
least at the Priority 1 level. Yet, as most of the members who have responded
to the discussion on the accessibility of the SLC site have suggested, it
really is not an accessible site.

Denise

Dr Denise L Wood
Lecturer: Professional Development (online teaching and learning)
University of South Australia
CE Campus, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
Ph:    (61 8) 8302 2172 / (61 8) 8302 4472 (Tuesdays & Thursdays)
Fax:  (61 8) 8302 2363 / (61 8) 8302 4390
Mob: (0413 648 260)

Email:	Denise.Wood@unisa.edu.au
WWW:	http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/staff/homepage.asp?Name=Denise.Wood