Re: links on white and black background

on 5/7/01 12:04 am, Michael R. Burks at mburks952@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> In my opinion, colors, as font size should always be under the user's
> control.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Mike Burks
> Webmaster and Public Information officer
> www.icdri.org

Mike,

I don't know if you are the Webmaster of the Web site at the address you
give above  - but I see on the site at http://www.icdri.org there is an
example of what I was asking about, i.e the navigation on the left of the
page is white text on a red background - whereas the links on the rest of
the page are blue on a white background.

A style sheet is used to set the color and point size:
.leftnav {  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;
color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: none}

And the relevant code to specify one of the navigation links on your page is
below:

color="#FFFFFF"><b><font size="2"><a href="stroke_main.htm"
class="leftnav">Stroke

So you are using both font and style sheet - I assume this is done so that
the colors will appear the same on browsers that cannot use style sheets?

I asked my original question so that I could find the best and most
accessible way of doing this. Using a navigation bar with a different
background to the rest of the page is a popular technique with Web designers
- rather that say to them 'no you can't do that' I'd rather be able to say
'here the most accessible way of doing it'.

Thanks,
Pat

--

Glasgow West End: Pat's Guide: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk

Guide to all that's best in Glasgow's West End: What's On, Eating Out,
Shopping, Flat Hunting, Local Characters, Classified Ads., Community
Pinboard, Art for Sale and Free Photographs to download.

ScotConnect:
Quick to load, accessible Web sites - built with the minimum of fuss.

Jim and Pat Byrne