RE: Section 508 Question on Javascript - Section 1194.22, Parag raph (l)

I talked to Doug Wakefield at the Access Board about this issue a couple of
weeks ago. Here's my (possibly faulty) translation of his intent in writing
this paragraph:

-------------
The assumption is that the user will have a reasonably current
browser/assistive technology combination, such as IE 5 and Jaws for Windows
3.7, specifically, one that supports javascript. [This is the biggest
philosophical difference between 508 and WAI.]

In this case, you're assuming that behind-the-scenes Javascript (such as
validation) will work properly. If so, you need only to make sure that
"visual" content is available to all users. For example, a form that
validates for an email address could pop up an alert box saying "Please
enter an email address." Jaws 3.7 can read alert boxes, so this is
acceptable.
-------------

One piece that is oddly missing here is a requirement that all
content/functionality be keyboard accessible. (For instance, no onClick
events used without a non-js fall-through.) The closest idea is in (n), but
it only includes coding for forms:

(n) When electronic forms are designed to be completed on-line, the form
shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information,
field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of
the form, including all directions and cues.

Interesting. (I've cc:d Doug on this email-- he may be able to clear up any
misinterpretations.)

Reidy