Re: ISO-HTML and headers / form elements

[ This is my personal opinion ]

Nicolas Lesbats <nlesbats@etu.utc.fr> wrote:

> Some things trouble me in ISO-HTML, and I think it's quite related to
> accessibility.
>
> 1. Why headers are just authorised in the BODY element ?

Probably to impose the proper nesting of sections while being a complete
subset of HTML 4 Strict.  ISO-HTML normatively requires the proper
nesting of sections, and it has a tricky mechanism to enforce this.
You might want to look at relevant thread in www-html.

  Subject: ISO HTML and headings
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Sep/thread#51

> 2. Why form elements are only accepted in FORM and FIELDSET elements ?

Probably to ensure that form controls won't appear outside of the form
element.  In HTML 4, form controls may appear outside of the form element,
e.g. when they are used to build user interfaces together with scripting.
Unlike HTML 4, ISO-HTML doesn't support scripting, so form controls
should not appear outside of the form element.

As you noticed, use of form controls has become a bit harder by this
restriction ...

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org