copyright rumors debunked - again

Hi Charles,

Thanks for being so clear about your concerns.  I'll try and address them
here one by one.

Regarding copyright and www.biztalk.org:
The original letter that started this long chain did mention copyright, and
I've addressed that several times over now, I'll do it again for your
benefit here.

The public statement on the web site can be read here:
http://www.biztalk.org/community/messagedetail.asp?thread=102011&group=2748.
It's tedious reading, but that's the nature of debunking rumors.

For the record, the statements regarding copyright owndership that were
rumored, alegedly by IBM, and repeated by yourself, are false.  Look at the
schemas on www.biztalk.org.  I do see a few schemas with copyrights on them
(search for "OAG" for instance).  I see no schemas that contain any claims
by Microsoft.  Each contributor decides on the copyright mark, if any, for
each schema contributed to the library.

The website itself is copyrighted.  Microsoft, who produced the software,
artwork and ultimate display, does as a matter of course own a copyright on
the entire site and the presentation of each page.  This is a commonplace
practice for most public web sites.

Regarding the library web site:
-------------------------------
The purpose of the schema library is to promote the use and adoption of
standard XML.  The long term mission of the web site is to remove entry,
learning and adoption barriers to XML take-off.  Since the move to the XML
schema standard will not be intuitive nor easy, we estabilshed this web
site.  Microsoft is adopting w3C standard Schema in our products as soon as
practical after the schema standard is ratified.  Since tens of thousands of
our customers are looking at XML today, and there is no other active schema
library that I know of, we built one to help people learn and use XML
schemas.  Is there a motive behind this for Microsoft?  Absolutely.  We sell
software (that's what software companies do!).  That software will use the
XML schema standard.  We want as many of our customers using software that
uses the W3C standard as possible.

Regarding Oasis:
----------------
OASIS is a group that has existed for some time as the SGML consortium.  The
focus of the renamed group is defining interchange standards to allow
metadata repositories to share information via a common data format.
Microsoft is a paying member of the OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org) group.
OASIS has several committees that are defining standards that will or may
have impact on Microsoft customers.  These are currently:

1. DocBook
2. XML conformance
3. Technical specifications for XML registry and Repository.

The Technical specifications for XML registry and Repository recently
started the first planned 18 month schedule to address the specifications
that define interfaces between systems that register schemas, and systems
that serve as XML repositories.  These terms are very loosely defined as of
yet.

In order to track progress of this open process, only paying members are
allowed to see the plans and schedules.  Sign up now at Oasis-open.org if
you are interested.

Microsoft has joined this initiative for the same reason that we join every
industry consortuim.  To see what the eventual standard might mean to our
customers and to gain an insight into the ultimate ability of the
organization to deliver on a universal standard.

Regarding your own goals:
-------------------------
You seem interested in XML.  If you want to learn more about the content of
www.BizTalk.org, please visit.  If you need help getting your free login,
write and I'll set up an account for you.  Hopefully, you can be the own
judge and determine whether you want to use the free library at
www.biztalk.org, whether to learn about schemas, download tools to help you
build applications that use XML, or make your own schemas available with no
strings to a large audience.  It's your choice.

I hope this helps you,

Best Regards,

Dan Rogers
Program Manager - www.biztalk.org