Re: Accessibility - Government Controll?

At 02:38 PM 10/18/1999 , Joyce Taylor wrote:
>I have one client whose business is computers (hardware and programming.)  I
>was explaining some points to one of this businesses' employees about
>accessibility and about certain government agencies and certain higher
>educational pages needing to be accessible.  But he said this was government
>control

Of course it's government control.  The government controls their
own web pages -- why exactly does this astonish him?  Oh, wait, he's
in computers; for some reason the idea of the government controlling
ANYTHING, even their OWN publications, is anethema.

>and should not be allowed and doesn't agree with it and felt that
>not many people who were disabled actually use the internet and oneshould be
>made to conform pages for people with disabilites.

Well, not many people who are disabled _do_ use the internet, thanks
to people like this fellow preventing them from doing it.  Oh well,
eh?  At least they're not people!

>Have no idea why I am passing this along.  I just feel designing accessibly
>is not more difficult that not designing that way.  I use notepad, BTW, and
>know no other way to design.
>May I never get to the point where I feel designing for accessiblity is too
>much trouble.

Joyce, the world needs more web designers like you.  Thank you for
taking the time to educate your client!  He may know his field (or
he may not), but clearly you know yours, and you understand that
interoperability, platform independence, and accessibility are
necessary parts of the web puzzle!