Re: CSS 2: priorities in cascading order

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> There is also a fine point of policy involved in the nomenclature
> tradeoff between !accessibility and some other name.  The notion
> that the user has a right to ultimate control should be
> considered independently from any appeal to special needs for
> accessibility.  If we agree on the principle that any user has
> this right, the explicit weight to implement this right should
> not be named in a fashion which suggests responding to "special"
> needs.

Al has correctly and eloquently captured my thinking on this point. Would
not the importance of the new key word for purposes of access be
sufficiently indicated by its having been proposed as part of the WAI
activity, and the fact that the accessibility community, via the WAI,
would be its principal advocate?