Re: CSS 2: priorities in cascading order

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Hakon Lie wrote:

> Personally I hate when dialog boxes pop up, and I'd certainly not want
> to acknowledge that the browser substitues Univers with Helvetica for
> every page I hit. The negotiation should happen seamlessly on my
> behalf and I, as a user, should be given a vocabulary which leaves
> room for negotiation. Is there a diplomat among us?

JW:: Perhaps the least intrusive option would be for the user agent, after
having processed the user's style sheet, to issue a warning, if necessary,
indicating that it contains illegal values. In the case of numerical
parameters, the closest legal value could then be substituted. Font names
admittedly lead to greater difficulty. An option in the user interface
could then allow exposure of the illegal values, and perhaps even allow
the user to change them if the automatically supplied substitutes are not
regarded as appropriate.

Perhaps this is largely a user interface question which could be
conveniently submitted to the UI group for further consideration.