Re: CSS 2: priorities in cascading order

From: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:14:00 +0100 (MET)
To: dd@w3.org, Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>, w3c-wai-hc@w3.org
On Dec 17,  3:43pm, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

> We could follow-up on that in PF but I sort of feel that the whole
> issue of reader CSS is moot.
>
> For one thing, we have yet to see a real system that provides the
> reader with style setting using the same language as the author style
> (namely CSS in our case) and one could argue whether it's the best
> metaphor for end-users.

One could, but ... Um, IE 4.0 is not a "real system"? It lets you
give the location on your disk of the reader stylesheet, which is
in CSS. For example, I made a simple 'large print' reader stylesheet :

body { font-size: 48pt }

> Instead, I feel that the user will be offered some UI and that
> therefore it's in the realm of the WAI browser guidelines to specify
> that a way to override/turn off Author style should be provided (no
> matter what IMPORTANT properties are there in the file).

Dou you mean, in addition to what CSS1 and CSS2 say about the ability
to turn off stylesheets individually or collectively?

> But there's nothing that prevent a browser to implement a
> user-always-gain policy, and in fact I'm sure it will be driving force
> in the browser market.

> > I think a nice, clean solution would be to suggest (*) that UAs give
> > all author rules equal weight--i.e., ignore "!important" in author
> > style sheets..

I think that should certainly go into usage guidelines: authors should
not put !important in their stylesheets. Then again, so far I haven't
seen any author stylesheets with !important.

> I think I'vem entioned this before, but our attempt at resolving
> readers requests will be through a !absolute flag available ONLY in
> the readers style sheet.

That's another option, and more compatible with CSS1 rules than
ignoring author !important.