Re: Mode of operation text

HI Alastair

> does anyone remember why that phrasing was used originally?

 I think the phrase "mode of operation" originated from an article that we
referenced in 2000 ... was it that long ago :0  ?

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2000AprJun/0277.html

In the SC 2.4.7 it means that if the interface is keyboard operable, there
is some way (mode of operation) to ensure that the focus is always visible.

It was first used in the TEITAC in about 1996-1998 which was the
foundational document for Section 508.

Here it is referenced in the 508 Subpart C,1194.31 (a)

https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-section-508-standards/section-508-standards#subpart_c

"Products must provide at least one mode that allows access necessary to
operate all functionality of the product without requiring any physical
contact with the product beyond initial connection and setup of a special
interface device."

If we need to get more on it  we could reach out to Gregg, who I'm guessing
coined the phrase as he was involved in TEITAC and the 508.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613-806-9005