Re: FW: WCAG 2.2 status update

Wilco & David,

To clarify, in hopes of opening a path forward for this: I did not request
an explicit list of things like books and magazines and I agree that doing
so inherently leaves things out when this kind of guidance should also
apply.

I gave the feedback at TPAC that the wording offered then seemed entirely
too prescriptive around UI controls for page numbers when talking about all
content on the web. The use case offered (teacher: "Please turn to page
57") needs addressing, but it seemed like the guidance only considered that
one use case without considering the implications for other kinds of
content and other environments, scenarios, etc. From there, the wording
changed to pagebreak locators, which I don't particularly like - it seemed
like just swapping one word for another in still very prescriptive guidance
without regard for the broader implications for scope outside of epubs. In
short, I very much agree with what you wrote:

On the other hand I think the definition of pagebreak locators is too
> generic. This SC seems to be about numbered pages, but by the genericness
> of the current language, quite a few things could apply here too.

I suggested earlier that it seemed this SC would need to change in one of
two ways (I very much prefer the first):

   1. Research and consider the broader context of use cases that seem
   similar to "Please turn to page 57" and rewrite the guidance to something
   that can cover the needs of people with disabilities in the larger scope of
   other contexts and content, as well as the narrow scope considered so far.
   2. Narrow the scope of guidance to the scope so far considered: ePUB and
   related formats, turning to a specific place consistently across the
   formats.

Hope that helps!

-Shawn