RE: Using preformatted text or excluding preformatting text as an exception to no two dimensional scrolling as failure for Reflow 1.4.10

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 22:55:43 +0000
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

Going back to the original question, that was a placeholder indicating we think there’s a technique there. Dissecting the exact wording it not helpful at this stage, it hasn’t been drafted.

There is a core question about whether information is lost when typical ‘pre’ content is wrapped, and if there are reasonable techniques for overcoming that information loss.

Wayne outlined the use-case, Patrick outlined some possibilities.

It needs someone to take it on and write up, OR, perhaps it would be better to create a positive technique for wrapping code snippets?

E.g. Technique: Using CSS pre-wrap to allow code examples to wrap.

People could supplement that with some of the methods Patrick outlined, but that’s a good start, and doesn’t have the issues with having to apply to all-possible content (that the failure does).

I opened an issue for pre-wrap for our own specs a while ago:
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/423

Just need to get around to adding that to the techniques/understanding CSS.

Cheers,

-Alastair