Re: Using preformatted text or excluding preformatting text as an exception to no two dimensional scrolling as failure for Reflow 1.4.10

Hi All,
Here is the problem with pre in fact any "fixed format" text. It is
unreadable in large print.

There are some cases where the lines are so short that 400% enlargement
will work, but that would be a rediulus limit on pages.

A good example of a poetic format is
http://shakespeare.mit.edu/macbeth/full.html. It does not use pre. Note how
well the dialog of the first witch, first occurance, wraps and is
consistent with the page indentation. This behaviour is beyond pre
formatting. Imagine how difficult it would be to read the page if it was in
pre formatting at 400% enlargement.

The reflow criteria is pretty clear on when 2-d scrolling is permitted: Except
for parts of the content which require two-dimensional layout for usage or
meaning.

The Macbeth example preserves the poetic format with indent-preserving word
wrap and no meaning is lost.

A similar indent preserving format is also good for code.

I really do wonder if there are any good uses of preformatting.

Best, Wayne