Re: Does 1.4.1 cover differences in state?

Yes. Some state differences are required. 1.4.1 states:

Color is not used as the only visual means of conveying information,
indicating an action, prompting a response, or distinguishing a visual
element.

  * So the "pressed" state of a toggle button is a way of conveying
    information so if "color" is the only way this is indicated then it
    needs to meet a 3:1 ratio between the pressed and unpressed colours.
  * The same for a "selected" tab page
  * A link with no underline falls into the either "indicates an action"
    or "distinguishing a visual element"

However I don't believe a hover state falls into any of these so don't
believe it needs to meet this.

Regards,
james

--
Regards, James

<http://www.oracle.com> James Nurthen | Principal Engineer, Accessibility
Phone: +1 650 506 6781 <tel:+1%20650%20506%206781> | Mobile: +1 415 987
1918 <tel:+1%20415%20987%201918> | Video: james.nurthen@oracle.com
<sip:james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Oracle Corporate Architecture
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94065
<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment