RE: New Wiki page with SC text proposals to combine issues 79, 78, and 74

From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2017 2:17 PM

I think that one area this WG will need to be in accord over is this: "...then the author has no responsible to create one.", as others on this list are now suggesting that the intent of "Mechanism exists" was to signal that if it wasn't native (to the OS/browser/Assistive Technology, or combination thereof), it was the responsibility of the content author to provide one.
[Jason] To the best of my recollection, yes, this is exactly what the “mechanism exists” concept means. Decisions need to be made regarding when a mechanism must exist, and when, therefore, content authors are responsible for filling gaps in what the underlying technologies they use support.
If a problem can be adequately solved on the user agent/assistive technology side rather than by requiring the authors of thousands of Web pages and applications to solve it, then, in general, improvements to user agents and assistive technologies are what need to be advocated for in order to provide a solution – not success criteria in WCAG that shift the responsibility to content authors.
I’m not arguing here that any specific proposals currently under consideration place responsibility in the wrong place; I’m only making a general observation.

Thank you for your compliance.