Re: Mechanism Disclaimer

> "Don't get in the way of user style sheets by sticking "!important" on
classes of your style sheets."

Just as an observation, if that is what we are asking (and I don't think
that a SC that "forbids" !important is too unreasonable, but the CSS
Working Group may disagree), but... if that is what we are attempting to
get at, then let's say that. Stop beating around the bush.

> It is that the ‘mechanism’ language implies authors should create it. If
you look through font-family, linearise, spacing, & colors; almost everyone
assumes that is the case.

+1 and exactly.

There is no doubt that there are a number of outstanding & serious issues
that need to be resolved to ensure access to all PwD, but we also need to
remember that WCAG is not UAAG or ATAG, and our SC for WCAG should be
something that the content author can control. WCAG is not the appropriate
place to be placing requirements on User Agents.

> For font-family, relying on font-icons to relay information would be a
failure

Wait, hang-on... this appears to be a very different topic from how this
thread started out, with the proposed edit of:

*The user can change the font family down to the element level, to any font
family available to the user agent with the following exception...*

​What does that have to do with font-icons?​

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist