Re: Length of line

On 13/01/2017 00:10, Alastair Campbell wrote:
> JF wrote:
>> a significant re-write is likely in order, as that is not at all
>> clear from the current draft text​, which states that (for the
>> author) a mechanism be provided​ (actually, "a mechanism is
>> available")​ - which suggests to me that it is the responsibility
>> of the author to provide that mechanism.
>
> I get that people aren't understanding that the intent is that it
> could be via user-agent, I didn't to start with either. However,
> don't you want to keep the WCAG 2.0 approach?
>
> This is language directly taken from 2.0, used in bypass blocks,
> audio control, link purpose, unusual words, error prevention, and
> more at AAA.
>
> Mechanism is defined in WCAG, and the (normative) note underneath
> is: "Note 1: The mechanism may be explicitly provided in the content,
> or may be relied upon to be provided by either the platform or by
> user agents, including assistive technologies."
>
> If that isn't suitable, what would you suggest? Can we sort it out in
> the Understanding doc?
>
> I think we're retiring Line length, but the point is the same for
> several others, so it is worth hashing out.

The disconnect for me comes when UAs/platforms that don't provide that
particular functionality/mechanism are then also excluded...so
effectively we're saying "a mechanism for X should be available, which
in most cases is already taken care of by the UA, except this SC doesn't
apply if the UA doesn't provide this sort of mechanism"?

Patrick H. Lauke