Re: Testability of Animation from interactions Issue 18

Laura,

The part that I wouldn't know (at first) how to test is "how would I
measure 1/3 of a web page view".  And while this may be a bit of a tough
questions to answer...I bet it is answerable (and maybe...some smart person
could up with a tool that helps us consistently and reliable measure this!)

Reminds me of the small enough part of flash thresholds.  Honestly, every
time I read "occupies no more than a total of .006 steradians within any 10
degree visual field on the screen (25% of any 10 degree visual field on the
screen) at typical viewing distance" my eyes glaze over and I'm grateful I
have not had to measure that yet!

general flash and red flash thresholds

a flash <https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#flash-def> or
rapidly changing image sequence is below the threshold (i.e., content
*passes*) if any of the following are true:

   - there are no more than three *general flashes* and / or no more than
      three *red flashes* within any one-second period; or
      - the combined area of flashes occurring concurrently occupies no
      more than a total of .006 steradians within any 10 degree visual field on
      the screen (25% of any 10 degree visual field on the screen) at typical
      viewing distance

Rather than 1/3 of the web page...what if you used language like (33% of
any 10 degree visual field on the screen)....or whatever the percent would
be to address the accessibility barrier that this proposed SC is trying to
prevent.

glenda sims    |   team a11y lead   |    deque.com    |    512.963.3773

*web for everyone. web on everything.* -  w3 goals

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com