RE: Resize content - questions remaining

A few comments inline below…

Steve

From: Alastair Campbell [mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:56 AM
To: Repsher, Stephen J <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Resize content - questions remaining

Hi Stephen,

You won’t get much argument from me on combining the SCs, but previous discussion pretty much went along the lines of: We can’t change anything about current WCAG 2.0 SCs. (See the thread on “Discussion on SC numbering” from December.)
[Steve] Yes, I remember and I was very opposed to it.  I think the proposed change to Sensory Characteristics may begin to open that door.

So we’ve been working within that constraint, at least until we get enough public comments the other way perhaps?
[Steve] My prediction is that the public understanding is certainly going to trump concerns about numbering in the end.

I do think we need a two level requirement however it is done. I.e. a high base requirement with a 2D exception, and a lower level for things (text) which fall into the exception.

That could be two SCs, or one with a caveat. I’d be happy to work on it if it could go somewhere, but I’d want some reassurance it isn’t a waste of time. That’s why I thought it good to bring up on the call.
[Steve] Agree, just seems safer to put in one SC where the test is to zoom to 400%, and then make sure only elements with fixed spatial layout require scrolling.

> Only 200% is required at the moment because this falls back to 1.4.4.  I’d like to see the zoom level fixed, and the difference be only the scrolling.

There was some careful comma placement regarding that! For current technology I don’t think it makes much difference, the zoom level is under user control, it is just whether it scrolls or not that is controlled by content.
[Steve] Careful with comments like that… You’re making a case that 1.4.4 is completely obsolete if authors never need to do anything to meet it.

> folks were having trouble resolving the content expectations between this SC and Linearization.

I didn’t pick that up (as much), but it’s something I can make very clear from a content point of view. I had a discussion with that with Gregg, have a look here: https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/281#issuecomment-300256180

The ‘linearise’ SC means the user is completely overriding the layout with a user-stylesheet or script/extension. The content requirements for that is to not prevent the user from doing it. (E.g. applying some layout through scripts or inline CSS.)
[Steve] Agreed.  Best strategy would be simply to ask folks to evaluate this SC on its own merit and have that discussion to cross the bridge when Linearization comes up, otherwise it’s a moot point

Resize content is entirely within the authors control, the user is applying standard browser controls.

Cheers,

-Alastair