Re: Issue #69: Character key commands

> can someone help me here?

Hi Gregg,
I'll give a specific example. It's not using google sites, it's using
gmail, where the  "e", is not a shortcut to Edit, but to Archive a
message.

I am using google email. I think my focus is in the edit field of the
message I'm reading, so I begin to type a response to the user. The first
word I begin to type is "Every". Since my focus is not actually on the
edit field, google immediately archives the entire message and displays a
little bubble that reads "The conversation has been archived.  Learn more
  Undo". But I'm typing, so this message disappears immediately when I
type the "v" and then when I type the second "e" gets updated to read "No
conversations selected." which persists through the rest of the letters
("ry") so that I actually see that message if I'm paying attention. (Such
messages do not persist indefinitely; not sure what their algorithm is).

The focus cursor gets out of the edit field in gmail more frequently than
you would think. I'm not sure what actions I do that cause this, but  I
accidentally archive messages frequently.

I completely agree that single key shortcuts can be highly beneficial. But
I equally agree that giving the user the option to disable them is a
valuable feature, because while it is very simple to accidentally trigger
one (as I hope I have shown), the same is not true of a non-printable
character or a combo that involves a modifier key. I could accidentally
hit the former, but that is a much less common problem than intentionally
triggering a printable key in the wrong context. The modifier key combo is
even more 'safe' since the odds of accidentally hitting both a modifier
and a regular key at the same time are pretty low for most circumstances.

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034