Re: Issue #69: Character key commands

agree

however - I have a question?

Google does this on Google Site pages.

when you are NOT in edit mode — you can type the “e” key to go into edit mode.
when not in edit mode there is nothing else that the ‘e’ key can be used for.    It will simply be eaten by the page and have no effect of any kind.

What is the accessibility problem caused by this?
 I can see how it is very convenient to a person with a disability
 (if they saved and are scrolled down the page - hitting ‘e’ puts them into edit mode where they are rather than having to scroll all the way to the top, hit the edit button, the scroll all the way back down to find the location where they were.
it also prevents them from having to do a choric keyboard input to get it back into edit mode.

But I can’t think of the disadvantage.

can someone help me here?
it is a ‘hidden’ command but so are all the two key combinations
it prevents the user from using the ‘e’ key for anything else — but (since this only happens if they have focus on the page — and there is nothing that the ‘e’ key can do on the page when not in edit mode — I’m missing the problem.

thx

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu