Re: Is Java Web Start covered by WCAG?

Jason wrote:

> *This is a good point. If the video is embedded in an HTML-based Web
page, then whether the Web page conforms or not presumably depends on
whether or not the video conforms, so it’s covered. However, if (assuming
this is possible) it’s linked to rather than embedded, then it’s more of a
separate resource and questions arise.*

Video formats can be delivered over the network using a number of different
protocols, including both streaming protocols (see here:
http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/What-Is-.../What-Is-a-Streaming-Media-Protocol-84496.aspx)
as well as more 'packet' based protocols (http, ftp, gopher <smile>,
whatever). However, with the second category of protocols, you need to
download the entire file to the local host before the video will play
properly, which often causes serious buffering issues. Streaming protocols
(and as I recall there is even a pseudo streaming hack) do not wait for all
of the packets to arrive before rendering on screen.

HTML5's <video> element supports either streaming or packet-based protocols
however, and so in some ways I'd argue that either would be "in scope"
especially when we start to discuss packaging the required accessibility
support files in-band of the video wrapper; so for example your .mp4 file
might have an H.264 encoded video, AAC encoded audio description files, and
WebVTT text (caption) files all wrapped up inside of the .mp4 file.

If you crafted such a file, and then linked it from a web page *<a
href="http://video.mp4 <http://video.mp4>>See the video</a>* all of the
support content (mandated by WCAG today) would be included in the .mp4 file
(even thought that file is not a "web page") and *I* would report that link
and file as being "compliant" to WCAG.

If I linked the same file like this instead: *<a href="rtsp://video.mp4>See
the video</a>* as an evaluator I'd still expect to find the captions,
described audio/video description file, and perhaps even the transcript
made available to the end user before i could report compliance. *HOW* you
do that I'm less concerned with, only that you *DO* do so.

All which further suggests to me that the http protocol as an identifier of
"content" (or even "Web Content") is a red herring.

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist