Re: Technolog Agnostic / Independent

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 01:41:07 +0100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
On 11/04/2017 01:37, Wayne Dick wrote:

> The main thing I am reacting to is the claim in many responses that
> feature x is not available on mobile hence authors should not be
> required to encode in a way that enables accessibility support for x.
> This recurs in many external responses. I though we might want to
> discuss this before coming up with an answer. This has appeared in
> Resize Content and adaptive content.
>
> The public appears that technology independence has this least common
> platform aspect.

Sure, and my main point is that unless "x" is something specifically to
do with viewport size/layout/relationship of font or element sizes to
viewport dimensions, we should not be using the size of the viewport as
a proxy for "this must be a mobile device, hence its user agent
will/won't support x".

Patrick H. Lauke