Re: Low Vision and COGA should Drop Support for WCAG 2.1 if the AG WG is not willing make real change.

WCAG did as much as any standard could possibly do. There is plenty of the
following WCAG SCs embedded in law and even more in the WCAG for web
masters who want to do the right thing. We provided plenty of guidance:

- We required all information to be available in text opening up a clear
pathway for assistive technology and parsing engines to manipulate that
text for people with cognitive disabilities that would simplify language
and manipulate it into symbols, and hundreds of other possibilities.  (SC
1.1.1) It's unfortunate AT was not developed to take advantage of this huge
win, but its not WCAG's fault. We brought the plumbing to the door of the
house.
- We required everything to have color contrast for low vision (1.4.3,
1.4.6)
- We required that images of text not be used because they pixelated (1.4.5)
- We required that all text be resized 1.4.4
- We required low or no background noise which minimizes audio distractions
(1.4.7)
- We required text colors be selected,
- We required text not to be justified,
- We required adjustable line spacing,
- and resizing with no horizontal scroll (1.4.8)
- No images of text at all (1.4.9)
- We required timing to be adjustable at least 10x the default length.
- We required that distracting movements not be on the page unless they can
be paused stopped or hidden ( 2.2.2)
- We required that No timing at all be used without exceptions (2.2.3)
- We required that distracting interruptions can be postponed or suppressed
by the user (2.2.4)
- We required that when a session expires the user can continue without
having to remember all their data (2.2.5)
- We required that web sites not triggers epileptic seizures (2.3.1
- We required a simple and descriptive page title to give users a quick
understanding of what was on the page (2.4.2)
- We required visible focus so that people who could cognitively not use a
mouse because of dyslexia, could follow the cursor (2.4.7) and use a
kyeboard to operate the site (2.1.1)
- We required that link text told users where the link went (2.4.4, 2.4.9)
- We required the language of the page to be marked up so that screen
readers for people who could not read, or were illiterate, or had dyslexia,
could surf the page with the proper speech engine (3.1.1) and that it would
change speech engines when the language changed.
- We required unusual words, idioms and jargon be identified (3.1.3)
- We required abbreviations be expanded and their meanings available (3.1.4)
- We required a pronunciation be identifiable (3.1.6)
- We required that the user not be sent to strange places and confusing
places on focus (3.2.1) or on input (3.2.2)
- We required consistent navigation (3.2.3) and Consistent identification
of controls (3.2.4)
- We required that any change of context by initiated by the user so they
would not be confused (3.2.5)
- We required that error fixes be suggested 3.3.3 and that legal
commitments be reversible, checked or confirmed (3.3.4) and strengthened
those requirements in 3.3.6
- We required context sensitive help (3.3.5)
- We required that the code be parse properly, paving the way to cognitive
AT that could make use of clean code. (4.1.1)
- And finally we required that any custom widgets expose themselves to
assistive technologies to help their users operate and understand them.
(4.1.2)

We brought the plumbing to the door. What the cognitive community, the low
vision community and the companies serving them do with that incredible
effort is really up to them. We have no control over that.

I hope we can continue this tradition of service to ALL people with
disabilities in this new version. In ways that are operable, implementable,
testable, and achievable.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*