Re: Comments on the discussion about target size and accidental activation (was Re: Minutes: AGWG meeting April 4, 2017)

We could add another exception to address John's concern about default
buttons:

- The link or control uses the default settings of the user agent

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902

LinkedIn

twitter.com/davidmacd

*  Adapting the web to all users*

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 3:11 PM, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> [...]
>> the UA may give a value of coarse
>> <https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-4/#valdef-media-pointer-coarse>
>>  or none
>> <https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-4/#valdef-media-pointer-none> to
>> this media query, to indicate that the user has difficulties manipulating
>> the pointing device accurately or at all.
>>

>> If I am to understand that correctly, the notion of "Fine" pointer may or
>> may-not be universally supported, which suggests to me another can of worms
>> if we try and build upon media-queries and pointer properties.
>>

>> Finally, how will we square the issue with native inputs and other
>> "clickable" elements that currently do not meet the minimum? For example, I
>> knocked together a super-quick test with a single form submit button with
>> the value of "go". Two screen captures follow:
>> [image: Inline image 1]
>> [alt="Firefox button screen capture using the MeasureIt browser plugin,
>> showing the rough measurements of the submit button"]
>>
>> [image: Inline image 2]
>>
>> [alt="The same button screen captured from Chrome. The actual button size
>> is 21px X 31px - sizing not shown"]
>>
>> The height of that submit button (Firefox 51.0.1 on Windows) is only ~20
>> px high, and roughly 28-30 pixels wide, and nearly identical in size in
>> Chrome. Is the intent of this SC then to insist that content authors also
>> must over-ride native controls? That as the developer I would need to
>> re-style the native submit button to be larger? What about native on-screen
>> 'virtual' keyboards - does each letter on the keyboard need to be a minimum
>> of 44 px square? (As James N also pointed out on the call, this would
>> certainly introduce horizontal scrolling, which Wayne has rightly pointed
>> out is one of the single largest barriers to low vision users. This feels
>> like an unsolvable conundrum.)
>>
>> I can anticipate some real frustration there if that is the case -
>> designers will tell us to go jump in the lake (and frankly I'd be fairly
>> sympathetic to their plight).
>>
>> I don't have easy answers, and I *DO* understand the problem statement
>> and user requirement. However my concern is that if we make WCAG overly
>> prescriptive we won't get increased take-up, instead we'll experience
>> increased push-back, which is another over-arching concern I struggle with.
>>
>> JF - On the same team.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk
>> > wrote:

>>> # On the target size SC discussion:

>>> that an alternative method
>>>
>>> this basically assumes that all touchscreen users also have a keyboard
>>> with them? or rather, that it's ok for designers to make their targets too
>>> small for unambiguous use because users that have a problem should be using
>>> a keyboard instead?

>>> small screens - that was the primary reason as i understand it
>>>
>>> Incorrect. We are trying to fix the problem of people that have mobility
>>> challenges (shaky hands, for instance) in accurately targetting