Re[4]: Thoughts on pull request?

>Josh - I like your thought experiment and the analogy of using a map in
>context to help me navigate from where I am. However, I'd extend this
>analogy to argue that if at the top of the mountain I want to plan my
>upcoming trip to Madrid, a local map is of little use.
Thanks Mike - agreed. So let us say both those things exist and have
their use. It strikes me that the prevalence and usage of the term 'Site
map' (as the Map of Madrid in the bedside locker) has no use 'in
context' or relating to where the user is. This is a pity, and renders
it useless, unless you need a gestalt view of the site.

>I think the purpose of a Site map is to help people understand all of
>the places you can go (a map of the whole region covered by the
>website), whereas the breadcrumbs are closer to a very localised map
>(or even a SatNav). So, on balance, I think it would be wrong to try to
>reuse the Site map term and apply it to breadcrumbs.
I understand your logic.

>This still leaves us with the probable reality that there is no
>commonly understood term that the general population could associate
>with the idea of breadcrumbs.

I would think of the 'context map' - as a mobile map or even a pocket
map. I wonder if that would translate as an ARIA region label for this
UI component?

Thanks

Josh